Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Thing 19 - The Legal Side of Things

Image result for creative commons


To explore the idea of Creative Commons I went onto the website http://creativecommons.org  to see a list of organisations who use it.  By browsing on the site I found a listing of  galleries, museums, libraries and archives who use creative commons that looked interesting.

The National Gallery in Denmark has released a collection of images that will now be freely available for users for any purpose and are free of copyright.  I had a good look at this website but found it difficult to find any images to use.

Creative Commons (CC) licensing is also available on the Tate website though it does not apply to everything on their  website yet, you have to look out for the Creative Commons link underneath an image to tell you if an image is available under Creative Commons and what type of Creative Commons licence applies. Just like the National Gallery in Denmark and the National Portrait Gallery I found most of the images difficult to find.

This image of Lee Miller and Roland Penrose on the beach, Juan-les-pins, September 1937 was taken from the Tate Gallery website.





 Eileen Agar ‘Photograph of Lee Miller and Roland Penrose on the beach’, September 1937
© Tate




By accepting the terms and conditions on the site I was then free to copy the picture below from the National Portrait Gallery.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip about the National Gallery in Denmark. Always good to know where free-to-use images can be sourced! #rudai23

    ReplyDelete