Wednesday, 11 November 2015

Thing 22: Mobile Things


 


I have an iPhone so I downloaded the Gum app and have been playing with it a bit.  It recognised the barcode of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green but I could only find one previous comment which had been 'stuck' one year ago.  I must be doing something wrong, I was expecting this to be a hive of activity as it is a popular book.  For the Game of Thrones by R.R. Martin I was the first one here.  Definitely there is something up!  I like the concept of Gum, it reminds me of when I ran a Reader to Reader Recommendation in the library using plain ol pencil and paper, it got people interested and involved.  

The iPhone is probably the most used gadget that I own, even though I also gadgets but still feel a bit inadequate when it comes to technology??!  As the iPhone is with me at work I would use it during the day but even if I am doing something work related on the iPhone it still looks bad, like I'm just playing with my phone when I should be doing real work on the computer.  

I don't know too much about the beacon technology.  At the moment we rely on updating Facebook and Twitter and our own website to promote events.  If patrons sign up with their email address they can be notified about books that need to be renewed and we are working on collecting email addresses to promote upcoming events such as movie nights, storytime, craft activities etc.  The only drawback I can see is that regular visitors to the library will be aware of upcoming events anyway from our own promotion in the branch. We need to get the message out to everybody, especially those that are not regular visitors.

I love the idea of 23 Mobile Things and will take a look at it in more detail once I have finished with these 23 Things!









No comments:

Post a Comment