Tuesday, 27 October 2015

Thing 16 - Collaboration Tools



Having spent the last 15 years working in a large office environment with a staff of up to 300 people, communication was vital to the working day.  We were all connected by our staff email system and we had an intranet to provide staff with practical, easily accessible information such as telephone extension numbers.

I did not realise how much I had taken that for granted!

Once I moved to the library service I lost my email account and access to the intranet, it was like being cast adrift from the mother ship.  Not only is it difficult to maintain friendships with just a little email it also means that I have no idea what is happening in the organisation as a whole.

The library operates under its own system and it works well for those that are used to it but there is always room for improvement.  Using Google as a collaboration tool would be ideal for us as all the libraries have access to the internet and the interface is similar to Microsoft and easy to use.


1 comment:

  1. I had a similar culture shock when I moved from private to public sector #rudai23

    ReplyDelete